Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Photo with Kevin

Thanks to all who called or emailed to wish George a Happy Birthday. Even though he worked a double on the actual day (what better present for him than double-time?), we celebrated with a barbeque at our house with our new friends, Nancie and Chuck. I made carrot cake but it wasn't as good as my recipe so if anyone has my recipe, please email it!


I've already mentioned Nancie, but did I tell you what a character she is? She reminds me of Judy Smith, one of my craziest and funniest friends in the Fort. Nancie told us a great story I thought I'd share with you.

After only being in Oz for two weeks, Nancie met some Australian friends at a crowded restaurant in Perth. They were seated at a small table next to a large reserved table. Since they didn't have enough place settings at their table, Nancie appropriated a set from the reserved table. A group of men in suits arrived and Nancie didn't understand why her friends were making such a stir. Her girlfriends were whispering and pointing so Nancie finally turned around to have a squizz (that means look in Strine for those of you who skipped a few blog entries!).

Nancie finally recognized the guy sitting behind her, the Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd! Can you imagine the US President being seated so close to someone who hadn't been searched and vetted previously?

Nancie being Nancie, tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me. I'm a new resident here and have only been here for two weeks. I have to tell you what a great job you're doing with the country. My sister and I absolutely loved your speech where you said you welcome new immigrants. " She quoted the speech verbatim and told him she'd vote for him if she could. He thanked her and turned around and continued his own business.

After they finished eating, Nancie decided she wanted to take a picture with him and her friends were telling her not to take out her camera for fear of being shot or arrested by the nearby security people. Nancie took out her camera anyway and snapped a photo of her friends.

Then she tapped Kevin Rudd on the shoulder again and asked him if he granted photo opportunities. He graciously agreed to the photo but that wasn't enough for Nancie; she wanted her friends in the photo so she asked the guy next to him to act as photographer. I'm sure someone who was lunching with the Prime Minister is fairly important in his own right but this man was very nice about it and even took his time framing the shot.

Want to hear the clencher? Nancie called her sister to tell her the story and discovered that the speech she went on about was not Rudd's but his opponent's! Poor guy, what could he say? - "Sorry, you don't admire me after all." I give him extra points just for being so gracious. I asked Nancie to email me a copy of the photo for the blog and will add it later if she remembers. Just wanted you to know we're hobnobing with friends with friends in high places. I'll be sure to let you know when he invites us all over to dinner in Canberra. : )

No comments: