Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Characters Welcome

People-watching here never fails to entertain me. Our nephew, JP, a Hollywood script writer, would get lots of good material from the folks I see on my almost daily CAT bus rides. Today I saw a bagpipe player with an orange Mohawk, multiple body piercings and a wild array of tattoos rocking out with a Scottish ditty. A gaggle of seniors of various backgrounds critiqued his performance and appearance. (He's actually quite good if you're a bagpipe lover.) I heard German, Italian, and Aussie comments but my favorite was, “Crikey! He looks a right rooster and sounds like a castrated kangaroo.”

Most Australians are a happy lot but there are a few who look like their dogs just died. One of my favorite pastimes is trying to get a smile from the stern-faced seniors on the bus. They always look at me like I’m going to try to steal their purses. (Maybe I just have spinach in my teeth or toilet paper on my shoe!) Perhaps Freo has changed too much for them and they are overwhelmed at the growth. It makes my day when I actually get one to smile.

There is always an assortment of tourists and I am amused by their comments and observations. I'm getting so I can tell the Germans from the Italians but am still mystified by the origins of the Asians. I thought I had a family all figured out yesterday until I heard one of the children speaking English with an Australian accent. I must remind myself that this is a nation of recent immigrants. People are often surprised that we aren’t planning to settle here permanently. It's a great place but I don't think it will ever be home!

No comments: