Monday, March 9, 2009

Lost in Translation

George and I are constantly amused at the Aussie pronunciations and expressions but the intrigue works both ways. I guess it's a to-may-toe to-mah-toe sort of thing. We giggle every time they say debut day-boo. When KFC advertises their fillets of chicken, they're fill-its. HBF, our health insurance company, is Haitch Bee Ef. I often find George chuckling over something he heard at work like madder than a cut snake or chuna-fish (tuna fish).

However, people will ask me questions that make perfect sense from their perspectives. Why does lucked out mean lucky? Where did phat come from and how can it mean something good? The list is probably endless. I guess the lesson is not to be concerned when one doesn't understand but to ask, learn and enjoy!

No comments: