Saturday, December 20, 2008

Small World Stories Continue

Waiting for the CAT bus this week, I noticed a little girl trip and fall over the curb. As a confirmed klutz myself, my heart went out to her. When she came to sit at the bench with her mother and sister, I asked if she was OK. You could tell this was no wimpy child - she wiped away her tears and gave me a 1000 kilowatt smile.

When her mother asked if I was American, I could tell she was too. After the usual, "Where are you from in the States?" and finding out they are from California, we moved onto "Where do you live?". It not only turns out they live on the next street (down from Ada Rose's) but lived at our place when they first came to town. It would probably be an interesting book to chronicle the stories of all the folks who stay here. Upstairs, Downstairs sounds like a good title but I think that's been used before. : )

Like us, they were less than thrilled with the accommodations but love Rose. When their shipment didn't come when they were ready to move to their new place, Rose lent them dishes and other kitchen things to tide them over.

Speaking of shipments, ours is still in Sydney, awaiting AQIS clearance. Now they are telling us that the AQIS folks are off until after the first of the year. It's so frustrating since it was shipped on July 29! If we'd known it would take this long, we wouldn't have bothered shipping anything. Oh well, I guess it's just a lesson in learning to live without the things one thinks one has to have.

No comments: