Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Geriatric Melodies


I hope this peacock curtain on my illicit photo shows up on the blog because it was gorgeous as was His Majesty's Theater where we experienced our first Australian performance. I discovered as I was snapping it that no photography was allowed.

The production was extremely amateur with the principals reading Internet jokes and other people's poems from big booklets and forgetting their lines even with that. The main male actor was difficult to understand and too far away from the microphone much of the performance. When they sang the 12 Days of Christmas, Aussie Style, you couldn't understand the words at all. To be fair, what they lacked in talent, they made up for in enthusiasm but I have attended an elementary school performance that was far more professional.

The highlight was a solo by the piano player who was substituting for one of the regulars. I think we lucked out to get the understudy in this case! Fortunately, tickets were only $19 and we had fun together afterward with a lunch and gossip at a food court. I had an amazing Thai lunch for only $7 that helped make up for the dismal performance.

Here are the words to the Aussie version of the 12 Days of Christmas in case you want to mix it up a little at your next sing-along:

The Twelve Days of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me.

1. An emu up a gum tree.

2. Two pink galahs.

3. Three jabirus.

4. Four kookaburras.

5. Five kangaroos

6. Six platypuses

7. Seven koalas climbing.

8. Eight possums playing.

9. Nine wombats working.

10. Ten lizards leaping.

11. Eleven numbats nagging.

12. Twelve parrots prattling.

Now, like me, you probably want to figure out what numbats, galahs and jabirus are so I'll leave you to it!

No comments: